when i was 9 years old i remember writing a paragraph on what we thought the world would be like in 2010. the one thing most of the papers had in common was that at 9 years old the general consensus was that we would have flying cars. like star wars type hovercrafts. two other things i said we would have were phones small enough to fit in our ears, and computers that would fit in our hands. between a bluetooth and an iphone i guess i was 2 for 3. well...it is 2010. as of today. where are the flying cars?
january 1st 2010
umpteen bazillion worlds ago this year seemed like such a long time away. in my 30's? are you serious? O. M. G. how old! i would like be ancient. like in a nursing home. like for real like. o. l. d. but it is here. and i am NOT old. some days i feel as if i should be in a nursing home. but i am not. i am ok. for the most part. and now i have children. and when i just asked my 12 year old...'in 2030 what do you think will be different?' her answer went something like this: 'that does seem like a long time from now. but in the last 20 years look at all we have come up with. i think that technology will continue to grow, but we will not have like flying cars. but maybe a step closer than we are now. cause if you think about it there are already like people inventing hover skateboards. i think the big point is not "what will we have?" but "what will we not have?". some animals, oil, good water, breathable air...are these things going to disappear? when you were young 20 years from now seemed neat. to me it's like almost scary.'
ok. REALLY??? really? well at least the 'like' did not change over time.
i thought there would be flying cars. she says extinct animals and no oil. things have changed so much more than we think in 20 years. my great aunt was born in 1920. to think of how much things have changed in every way just in her lifetime is frightening. but as a whole...in my lifetime...in my 33 years...what has changed? grand scheme? not a lot. i feel as if the future will almost take a step back. a step that my great aunt would be proud of. a step back to small gardens, being more earth-wise, recycling and reusing, being more community and family oriented. my great aunt has said for years when i ask her to show me how to cook something 'young people don't stir'. i believe the young people are ready to stir.
every year we like to entertain ourselves making resolutions on the first day of each new year. by definition a resolution is - a decision to do something or to behave in a certain manner* but it can also mean - solution: a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem**
so this year: 2010. the year of my imagined flying cars. i will not make decisions to do anything. or behave in any manner. i will create solutions. to solve the problems that i am big enough to see in myself, in my family, in my friends, in my community, and in my world.
- i will write more. i will not only blog more but also make a point to comment on at least five other blogs a week. so that those people know someone is listening. i will update on my solution/resolution progress and what was done.
SOLUTION: happiness in general.
- i will not yell as much. i will not stress as much. i will not let things bother me as much. appreciating my children and understanding that they are just that. children. i will grow some vegetables. i will spend more quality family time. with both my close family and my extended family. game night/movie night with the five kids, and three adults.
SOLUTION: my family is happier.
- i will do something random for someone at least once a month. understanding that even though my day is bad, someone else could be having a worse day. finding a single mother in the grocery line and paying for her stuff. helping someone pump their gas. shopping for an elderly person in my town.
SOLUTION: my community is happier.
- i will take time for myself once a month. and convince my friends to join me. getting pedi's, or catching a movie, grabbing sushi, having more coffee mornings.
SOLUTION: my friends are happier.
- i will work more on the website, make more crafts, and finish my cookbook. i have things to offer. recycle more. get greener.
SOLUTION: my world is happier.
- i will give more order to my life. cleaner house. less laundry. go to work with a smile. not complain as much about my everyday. physically improve. mentally improve. emotionally improve. spiritually improve.
SOLUTION: i am happier.
no. i am not delusional. for the sake of argument...let us just say i am...solutional. although delusional may work better.
so to 2010 i say...bring on the flying cars!!! and if you cannot make it happen, it is ok. i can make my own happiness.*** and thats exactly what i plan on doing. and i am going to share that happiness! i am going to try to bring a smile to my little snafu'd world. you should too!
(but the flying cars would be really neat)